Question Posted By: mooseariss on 4-4-2011
Back to Questions
|Make of Bike:
|Model of Bike
|Year of Bike
|Other info on Bike
|What's your question?
||Best Replacement for solid wheels
||I have these solid wheels on my Fatboy, which look nice, but catch air like a Kite and are obnoxious as hell to keep cleaning because they are all chrome. Last guy who owned the bike installed them. I have been told getting spoke rims for my bike is not a good idea since I'm a big guy. but I'm not too keen on the idea of dropping a wad of cash on some expensive ass rims. What is the best course of action? Should I just deal with the rims, or look into an alternative?
- I have seen people machine circular holes in the solid wheels. They said it solved the problem with crosswinds. After machining, you could always have them powdercoated. By: alcorrupt on: 4-5-2011
- Wouldn't machining circular holes mess with the structural integrity of the rim? Or would it just take out extra unnecessary material? By: Guest on: 4-5-2011
- Stock Fatboy wheels are made from CAST aluminum. They are not machined from solid Billet aluminum. Cutting holes in the cast could be a problem as castings are not as strong as billet. By: Guest on: 4-5-2011
- I have a 2000 fatboy and road to Sturgis wih a few bagers wind blew hard had to lean into wind just as much as baggers. their is no difference. it;s in you head lol on my ninth Hd. i can sit on the back seat and it goes straight in the wind. By: Guest on: 4-6-2011
- Spokes been holdin people up on wheels before the 20th century. Unless by "big" you mean holy shit big, what would be the problem. By: FLHS1200 on: 4-6-2011
- lots of flt type mags out there you can get cheap try ebay or swap meets By: Guest on: 4-12-2011
- leave the solid on the rear and replace the front with a good quality spoked rim - its the front that blows you all over, the rear will be just fine - I have a spoked front and solid rear and it looks great By: Guest on: 4-13-2011
- Had a friend just this year blow out a spoke and then they all went while traveling freeway speed. Not a pretty site.
I would go mag if i replaced mine. Can patch em on the side of the road if you get a flat since you dont have a tube. By: beau on: 4-18-2011
- Heritage wheels are a straight over cross,and you get your handling back. By: brokeknee on: 4-23-2011
- have you seen the thick spokes out now,[check out occs vet chop same size]without barbed wire,might be a way to go.good luck to ya. By: fuzzymick on: 4-25-2011
- Check ebay or local indy for tacke off mags. Lots of people get the baggers and trade the mags in for something cooler looking. By: buckrdmc on: 4-26-2011
- Right on-this helped me sort tihngs right out. By: Guest on: 12-5-2011