Question Posted By: madmidget on 6-9-2011
Back to Questions
|Make of Bike:
|Model of Bike
|Year of Bike
|Other info on Bike
|What's your question?
||Any tips on sealing a vacuum port ? Other than the vinyl/plastic/rubber caps.
||Converted CV carb from vacuum feed to gravity feed. Seems I'm changing the cap every year. Is there a more permanent fix that won't screw the carb up ?
- how bout a metal cap with some sort of epoxy? By: Guest on: 6-12-2011
- In the short term you could block it with dog shit and get away with it. In the long run...you may want to hook it back up someday, or whomever you sell the bike to. Unfucking something is wasted energy.
FWIW By: 47Knuckle-Dragger on: 6-12-2011
- Well thanks Knuck. Poppa ya might wanna stick with older bikes. However I did make a mistake on the engine size, not intentionally but none-the-less. Unless all my research and talking to people I trust(ed) back a couple of years ago when I went from 88 ci to 95 ci (which I think is now 1540 cc) was wrong you had to change the petcock because the original couldn't handle the change. Now I did (by the book) do the top end myself except for boring the jugs, refinishing the heads and rebuilding the carb was it determined that it needed to be a gravity feed. Now as far as implying that I need and/or want to sell, it ain't gonna happen. FWIW I ride mine AND I work on it myself as much as I feel I'm capable. So far. So good. Now all I'm waitin on is for you to tell me (again) to buy a Honda. I have actually owned one by the way so THANKS again for your input. Hope you're feeling better. By: madmidget on: 6-14-2011
- I can't remember suggesting to anyone, ever, to 'buy a Honda'. Doesn't sound like me. Jog my memory. By: 47Knuckle-Dragger on: 6-15-2011
- Reply 11
Posts: 2586 Subject: RE: Bike help.
From what I understand...the MoFoMoCo's decision to go with chains and shoes was more to do with EPA engine noise than a better product. We all know how nice it was when Harley went to an electric start and you didn't have to adjust the fucking transmission and rear wheel every time you adjusted the primary chain. But that leaves the plastic adjuster "shoe" that gets eaten up every year. And if you don't have a sealed primary...the plastic shit gets into the camchest! Anyway...
With that said: Installing geared cams in a Twinkie is a no-brainer. Fuck chains! The process isn't for your average garage-tinkerer as it takes special tools. If you're worrying about the "money" end of it, you shoulda bought a Honda! Just have it done as a one-time thing. I don't think you need to change your cam profile if you don't want to.
By: madmidget on: 6-22-2011
- I stand corrected. So, have you considered the Honda? :) By: 47Knuckle-Dragger on: 6-22-2011
- the cap of a new battery that you remove when installing vent hose work great when you add a zap tie to them will work for years as the strap keeps them from swelling and then sucking air By: Guest on: 6-27-2011