Question Posted By: PiecesCSMC on 9-21-2011
Back to Questions
|Make of Bike:
|Model of Bike
|Year of Bike
|Other info on Bike
|What's your question?
||Having problems with bolts holding inner primary to case vibrating out.
||It got so bad last year that the machined ring on the left case half that holds the o-ring seal in place sheared off. Replaced the engine with a hell of a deal I came across from from Bro. Still having a hell of a vibration causing some bolts to loosen. Motor mounts LOOKED fine, even though I know that doesnt mean they are. Any one else have the same issues before and what was your repair?
- Use tab washers on the bolts. The tabs fold over the hex head so the bolt can't vibrate out. By: Guest on: 9-21-2011
- Thanks, tried that already though. By: Guest on: 9-21-2011
- if possible, either drill the bolt heads or get some pre-drilled aviation style and safety wire them...if done correctly, it never fails... By: bikernerd99 on: 9-21-2011
- If your bolts are loosening up it's probably due to vibrations. Get new bolts so you know the threads are good and Loctite them with blue loctite. I'd try to locate the source of the vibration if that's the culprit. Check your engine mounts thoroughly. By: badman on: 9-22-2011
- In ref to last post, you could also run a tap into all the holes just to be sure. Use Loctite! By: capnbill on: 9-22-2011
- Yes to all the above, but if you have replaced the engine the vibration has to be coming from either the mounts or the primary itself. Have you checked sprocket, replaced chain (or belt), everything else inside primary? Are you running stock primary or has it been changed? By: bobp on: 9-23-2011
- I have an 85 (had er 25yrs.). On those old Dynas be sure and check the top motor mount bolt. Check your transmission mounting bolts and drive sprocket. Use RED locktite and the two bolts on the engine side should be safety wired. By: sprgld1 on: 9-25-2011
- Saw this issue on a friends evo. Check to be sure the compensator isnt worn. By: Basketcase on: 11-5-2011
- Now we know who the snebsile one is here. Great post! By: Guest on: 3-26-2013