Question Posted By: Anonymous on 12-2-2006
Back to Questions
|Make of Bike:
|Model of Bike
|Year of Bike
|Other info on Bike
||4 SPEED, CHAIN DRIVE, DRY CLUTCH
|What's your question?
||OIL ON CLUTCH DISCS, CLUTCH SLIPS
- Follow the directions in your service manual (you DO have a service manual, right?) for pulling your clutch fiber discs and plates. Hit Wal*Mart's for a gallon of Coleman® camping fuel and use that as a cleaning solvent for the fiber discs and steel plates.
After the fiber discs have air dried, use a 10"x12" piece of 180 grit sandpaper laid on a piece of glass to break the glaze on the fiber disc surfaces. Lay the disc on the sandpaper and move it around in circles until all the low spots of glaze are gone.
Reinstall the fiber discs & steel plates and do a complete clutch adjustment starting with the clutch arm adjustment on top of the tranny.
By: 47Knuckle-Dragger on: 12-3-2006
- You should also change the tranny seal while your at it. Being 22 years old, your bike needs it. You'll need to pull the inner primary as it's behind the sprocket. Not hard, just takes a couple of hours. Remember the nut on the shaft is 1/8" lefthand thread. You'll need a couple of tab washers too. By: creepinogie on: 12-19-2006
- Oops, I meant to say 1 1/8" left hand thread. Big Diff... By: creepinogie on: 12-20-2006
- If you do decide to change the mainshaft seal, I suggest you apply some sealer around the outside of the seal just before you install it...and put some oil on the mainshaft where it comes out of the case. It takes a while before the tranny oil will lubricate that new seal and the thin lip of the seal that rides on the mainshaft will overheat before that happens--causing premature failure.
Wouldn't hurt to replace the inner primary support bearing & seal while your at it, too. Better now, than later. And don't buy a bearing made in China, either. Fuckin' Chinese wouldn't know a round ball bearing if it hit 'em in their squinty eyes!! By: 47Knuckle-Dragger on: 12-21-2006
- hey knuckle dragger thats racsist ,if we say that here in uk they sue your balls off. By: biggles on: 1-10-2007